Here’s a great article on TBI and Therapy: What are the treatments for TBI?
Types of rehabilitation therapy may include:
- Physical therapy. This treatment works to build physical strength, coordination, and flexibility.
- Occupational therapy. An occupational therapist helps a person learn or relearn how to perform daily tasks, such as getting dressed, cooking, and bathing.
- Speech therapy. This therapy works on the ability to form words and other communication skills as well as how to use special communication devices if necessary. Speech therapy can also include evaluation and treatment of swallowing disorders (dysphagia).
- Psychological counseling. A counselor can help a person learn coping skills, work on relationships, and improve general emotional well-being.
- Vocational counseling. This type of rehabilitation focuses on a person’s ability to return to work, find appropriate opportunities, and deal with workplace challenges.10,11
- Cognitive therapy. This includes activities designed to improve memory, attention, perception, learning, planning, and judgment.12 For many people with TBI, cognitive therapy is among the most common types of rehabilitation.